Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Hatfield Connection

The Hatfield connection is always an interesting one.  I thought I would start there for everyone since it's one that most everyone is at least aware of.  We have some pretty interesting characters in our ancestry, especially those rascally Hatfields!  ;)

The whole story starts with Ephraim Hatfield, my 5th Great Grandfather.  He was often called "Eaf of them all" due to the fact that he was the common ancestor to so many of the Hatfields in the area, and all of those feudin' and fussin' ones (which wasn't us, really!).  He had two wives, and that's where the split happened that made our ancestors cousins of the Devil Anse families.  His first wife was the line that went to Devil Anse, and his second wife is our line.  Here's how it breaks down...

  1. Ephraim "Eaf of them all" Hatfield b. 1765 Russell County, Virigina d. Oct 13 1847 Pike County, Kentucky m. Mary Polly Smith abt 1875 Russell County, Virginia.  Mary Polly is not our line, but she IS the line of William Anderson Hatfield, better known as "Devil Anse".  

Mary Polly Smith Hatfield had 5 children with Ephraim, and it is thought that she died shortly after giving birth to their fifth child, and most likely from complications of child birth which was quite common during this time.  Their five children were Joseph B. b. 1787, Eli Aly b. Oct 20 1786, Ericus "Aik" b. 1788, Valentine b. 1789, and Lydia Bridget "Biddie" b. abt 1792.  Mary Polly died sometime between giving birth to Bridget and 1800.

The only reason this is known is because by 1800, Ephraim was already shacking up with my very own 5G Grandmother, Annie McKinney Musick Bundy.  Ephraim and Annie started living together around 1800, and weren't married until Nov 28, 1830.  Oh the scandal!  ;)

But, before we get to that, let's touch on this Devil Anse situation.  Many of you want to know our relationship to him, and rightfully so.  He's an interesting character, indeed!  Devil Anse, christened William Anderson, was born on Sep 9, 1839.  Making him only about 4 years older than his Dad's half first cousin, Preacher Anse Hatfield (our line! My 3rd Great Grandfather, Grandma Pat's Great Grandfather).  They grew up together in the hills and were raised together.  They were given the nicknames Preacher Anse, who really was a Preacher later on, and Devil Anse, to tell them apart since they both went by the name Anderson (Anse) originally.  So, in closing - Devil Anse is my Half (due to Eaf of them all having two wives and creating half siblings) 2nd Cousin, 4 times removed.  :)

Now, let's get back to that scandalous situation we had going on Eaf of them all Ephraim Hatfield and Annie McKinney.  So, this record is found regarding them - Annie nee McKinney has been married twice already - once to David Musick, and then to a man named Bundy (who I don't have much info on yet) and then to our wonderful Ephraim.  Take a look at this record...

Pike County, Kentucky Marriage Bond, File #263 Ephraim Hatfield and Anna Bundy 22 November 1830 ". . . application was made hereof by George Hatfield their son sufficient to Issue this License . . ."

So - Ephraim and Annie's son, George, (my 4G Grandfather) had to take an application for them to get married.  Want to know why?  Because shortly before this marriage application, Ephraim was charged and convicted of co-habitation with Annie McKinney Musick Bundy and was in the slammer!  He was apparently out by Nov 28 that year of 1830, because on that date, in Pike County, Kentucky, he and his common law wife of 30 years were legally and officially married.  I told you this was going to be interesting!

But wait - it gets even better!  I know, how can it, right?!  But it does!

So, when Annie McKinney married David Musick, somewhere abouts 1780-ish - they at least four children together that I've been able to verify, Abraham, Elijah, Elexious, and Pheobe.  There are probably five children born to them, but I'm still verifying that.  Now, I can't re-write this whole story, so I'm going to copy and paste it as I found it online (many sources) and let you enjoy.

But, since it's so long, I'm going to have you go to the next entry to read about my scandalous grandmother Annie McKinney Musick Bundy Hatfield and her story!

Much Love, Anita :)


 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. I found out last year that Annie is my 6th great grandmother. Loved reading this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Quite an interesting character!

      Delete
    2. Glad you enjoyed it. Quite an interesting character!

      Delete
    3. Yes David and Annie had five children I am the 5 great grandson of David and Annie also my great-great-grandmother Celia Musick her mother was Polly Hatfield sister 2 Preacher Anse Hatfield and Floyd Hatfield one of fourteen children whose father was George Hatfield

      Delete
  2. Annie and Eaf of All are my husbands great, great, great, great grandparents. This lineage is just fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many children did he have with annie? She would be my 6x grandmother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie is my 6th great-grandma, via her son Elexious with David Musick. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am of the Musick family and I find it very interesting to see all the family I have in many cousins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie is my 6th great grandma from my Musick family

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this history of my family

    ReplyDelete
  8. It very interesting the Musick blood follows in to the cook blood line on my grandmother and her sisters side of my family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie is my 6th great grandmother on both the Musick and the Hatfield side. My 4th great grandfather Elexious Musick married Mary Polly Hatfield which was the granddaughter of Ephraim Hatfield. So that made David Musick & Ephraim Hatfield both my 6th Great Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Becky . My7 th g grandparents are Annie and David Musick. My 6 th g grandpa is Elexious. Hello cousins !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ephraim is my 6th great grandfather but with his first wife…their son Joseph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m late to this, but Ransom Hatfield (born 1830) was my (6)great grand father. His daughter Lydia Hatfield Rutherford was my (5) great grandmother. I really enjoy reading about family history. Growing up, I watched/learned stuff about the Hatfield & Mccoys. But little did I know, I was actually related to both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ransom father was George Hatfield

      Delete
  13. Annie is my 6x great grandmother. I am through her marriage to Nathan Bundy - Nancy Bundy (m: William Romans) - Levi Romans (m: Nancy Adkins) - Louisa Romans (m: Samuel Endicott) - Lucretia Pricy Endicott (m: Jefferson Lewis) - Louisa Lewis (m: Ben Gunnells) - Henry Carl Gunnells (m: Pearl Scalf) - Darrell Gunnells (m: Marian Martin) - me.

    ReplyDelete