Tuesday, December 2, 2014

General Genealogy Terms and Explanations

So - Here is my first "real" post after laying out all that nerdy Genealogy lingo!  ;)

I will start with my Mom, because, well, she was awesome!  <3  This is going to be our line from Mom (and all of her siblings!) through Grandma Pat.  Now, there are a LOT of cool folks and different families involved in all of this - so, I will try to set this up in a really reader-friendly way.  If, however, I start getting too genealogy lingo-y, and it starts to get hard to follow - please let me know!  It's been a lot of years that I've been doing this just by the genealogy rules, so, I may forget at times!  Don't be afraid to let me know and ask for clarification if you need it!  And hopefully, I will get better at this as I go!  Also, I will refer to people with their relationship to me - however, if you are having trouble figuring out their relationship to you, let me know and I can pretty quickly sort that out for you!  Have fun and enjoy!  Much Love, Anita :)

1.  Barbara Jean Lehman b. Oct 15, 1958* Wabash, Wabash, Indiana d. Oct 8, 1996, age 37 years, m. Earl Dale Harris Jan 18, 1975 in Wabash, Wabash, Indiana.  Earl Dale b. Feb 23, 1956 Wabash, Wabash, Indiana d. Nov 26, 2012, age 56 years**

*  (sometimes dates are given backwards, like, 15 Oct 1958, but I like this way better!)


This is just a typical entry.  It gives all the pertinent information pretty quickly.  You will notice that Barbara (Mom) has a number 1 by her name.  That is indicating that she is the first generation in this tree.  Normally, you would start with the first generation you have (earliest dates), and then list downwards giving each subsequent generation the subsequent number.  I would be #2, as would my sister.  BUT, since I'm doing this upwards for now, I'm going to start with Mom and move my way UP the tree.  So, the generations above her will go up in number, like so....

2.  Juanita Kathleen Hatfield b. Jan 26, 1927 Catlettsburg, Boyd, Kentucky d. Feb 10, 2000 Urbana, Wabash, Indiana, age 72 years, 15 days m. Victor Bernard Lehman Sr. Dec 18, 1950 Marion, Grant, Indiana.  Victor Bernard b. Aug 2, 1927 Evansville, Vanderburgh, Indiana d. Mar 24, 2013 age 85 years,  Wabash, Wabash, Indiana.

Now, I don't have Al Piety's information in this one - yet.  I will have it though, hopefully soon for my Piety cousins.  I'm still working out how to enter it all for everyone, but wanted you to see how a regular entry looks.  If there are any questions so far, let me know!

Much love, Anita :)

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of Grandpa Piety stuff. I was researching it for Grandma. (Ruth)

    ReplyDelete